Liberal Studies Abroad programmes provide exciting and challenging educational opportunities for studying western culture through on-site lectures, seminars, art studios and guided visits to galleries for participants of all kinds, from current undergraduates seeking senior-level credit to mature people of an inquisitive nature who want to add a note of special interest to their travels overseas.
Each programme is led by experienced faculty from the Liberal Studies BA Programme and other departments at Vancouver Island University, as well as from its partner universities, such as Ryerson University, all specially selected for their communicative abilities and commitment to interdisciplinary and student-centred learning. They will be complemented by adjunct lecturers and guides from the locations visited, to provide an in-depth and well-rounded educational experience. The faculty and staff, with the other participants, form a tight-knit learning community whose goal is to achieve the highest level of enrichment for all concerned.
Programmes generally involve four to five weeks in Europe, preceded by preparatory classes in Nanaimo and Ryerson University (Toronto), though alternative arrangements can be made for those who live elsewhere. Ample time is given at the end of the overseas portion for the completion of assignments. The programmes are interdisciplinary in nature, covering the art, architecture, literature, music, science and philosophy of the historical period and place, and are open to credit and audit students, from VIU and elsewhere.
Credit students, who may enrol in the programmes at the lower or upper level as appropriate, are expected to attend all classes and cultural visits and to complete all assignments. Each programme involves three courses, or nine semester-credits. Canadian students taking nine credits are usually eligible for a student loan. In addition, current VIU Students who take a programme for credit may be eligible for the International Education Stipend and other awards.
Audit students do not have to meet any educational prerequisites, receive all educational materials, may attend all classes and visits, but do not have to complete any assignments.
- Students must register in all three courses, though they do not have to take all three for credit - i.e. they may take some for credit, and some on an audit basis.
- All monies remitted to Liberal Studies Abroad as deposits or payments are non-returnable, except in the case of cancellation of the programme by Vancouver Island University. Liberal Studies Abroad can recommend an insurance broker who can arrange coverage for these amounts in the form of trip cancellation insurance.
- Upon acceptance, all participants must sign a waiver of liability protecting Vancouver Island University and its employees from legal jeopardy during the programme, including during travel to and from the overseas location.
- As part of the same document, all participants sign a statement of commitment to act, while overseas, as a conscientious ambassador for Canada and for Vancouver Island University. Any illegal or disruptive behaviour is sufficient grounds for being sent home without compensation.
- Participants must purchase mandated medical insurance through a specified provide. See International Education for more details. This cost is not included in the general program fee.
- A certain level of physical and mental fitness is required for participation: if in doubt, please discuss this with our staff.
Package costs include fees, all programme-related inland travel, accommodation, tourist guides, books and other educational materials as well as admissions to cultural sites. Air travel to the destination country will not normally be included, although upon request Liberal Studies Abroad will connect participants with a travel agent familiar with the programme. Unless otherwise specified, food is not included, but accommodation is arranged so that food costs are minimal.
Liberal Studies Abroad is a not-for-profit initiative of Vancouver Island University: every effort is made to keep costs as low as possible.
For general enquiries about Liberal Studies Abroad, send e-mail to Co-ordinator Mark Blackell at Mark.Blackell@viu.ca.