Resources for Faculty

Resources for Faculty

Before Semester

Semester Start-up

During Semester

Semester Wrap-up

After Semester

Degree and Curriculum Development

Further information is available on VIU's University Planning and Analysis Web site.
View the status of curriculum changes and proposals.
View the Course Master File. Templates are on the Web site for the Curriculum Committee.

Directed Studies

Please read through and follow all the steps provided here, to avoid delay.

Faye is available to answer any questions and to guide you.

Two forms are required.

1. The section form: You must apply to have a Directed Studies section created and to be paid for your work; download the Directed Studies form Directed Studies Form (Word) or Directed Studies Form (PDF).

2. The student registration form: You must also apply to register each student in the section. Download the student registration form. Old forms are no longer accepted at Registration.

Follow the instructions on the forms, using the default semester dates to avoid charging your students additional fees.


1. Default semester dates are found on your class list(s).

2. Sometimes a student will need the process expedited in order to meet student loan or International Education requirements; please attach a note to the form when that is the case.

3. Each student registration form requires, for the student and for the Dean to approve, your plan for evaluating the student work's work.

The Department Chair approves both forms and delivers to Faye. If not complete, they are returned to the instructor or Chair. If complete, the seats are counted and the forms are presented to the Dean for approval.

The Dean signs off on the forms.

Faye requests that the section be opened with the appropriate number of approved seats; once the section is opened, Faye finalizes the registration forms by inserting the section codes. Each student receives an email with instructions; the instructor is copied on this email.

Instructors are paid, based on confirmed registrations, on the paydays subsequent to the fifth and tenth weeks of the semester.

Prior Learning Assessment

PLA Student Registration form. Bring or send the form to Faye, who will seek approval for you and open the section. Once there's a section the student will be notified to pick up the form and register. You will be paid after the student has registered. The student is to sign when he/she enrolls at the Registration desk.

Grades are to be submitted to Records on the summary of results form.

More information:
Set-up, Registration, and Summary Guide

Class Cancellations/Sick Leave Reporting

Please call your Faculty Assistant if you are going to call in sick so she can post a note on the classroom door cancelling your classes (Kathleen: 250-740-6694, Janeane: 250-740-6393, Bld 355: 250-740-6194).

If you leave a message or send an email to your Faculty Assistant, please provide her with details of the class, the time, and the classroom number. Sometimes, several instructors phone in on the same morning and it’s quite time consuming to have to look up each person’s timetable in order to post class cancellation notices.

It’s now easy to email students in your class and as a courtesy to them, especially for the ones who have to travel, please follow the instructions on the link below to advise them you’re cancelling class. Please cc your Faculty Assistant so she knows that’s been taken care of.

Email your students

Your Faculty Assistant will then advise Debbie that you are sick so she can put you on the sick leave report.

Don’t’ forget that once you return to work, you need to call Debbie directly to "unsick" you (250-740-6392). If not done, the Human Resources Department will call you after five days to ask for a sick note from your doctor; therefore, it's important to get taken off the sick leave report as soon as you’re back on campus.Financial Items

View the Art and Design Student Fees collection forms.

View other Financial forms, or see Faye for assistance. Please make your requests as early as possible—why wait? Accounting Department has a huge workload but will accommodate, whenever possible, our requests for quick pays and purchases “after the fact." Further information: Government rate for hotels, Travel guidelines, information, and per diem rates.

To set up a payment for an individual, you must start the payment process at the same time you enter into an agreement with the individual for the services he/she will provide. Print the Payment Request form, complete the appropriate sections, and submit it to Faye for processing. Information omitted will cause delay.

There is no WCB coverage or insurance for individuals performing services on campus unless a stipend has been initiated or a PO issued before the date of the service.


To set up a purchase-order contract to pay a business (including individuals who operate as a business) for goods or services, obtain quotations and forward (to Faye) your selected quotation as soon as you receive it, allowing adequate time to issue the contract (i.e., the purchase order) to your vendor before the goods or services are provided. Emergency purchase orders are possible; contact Faye for that, too.

There is no WCB coverage or insurance for individuals performing services on campus unless a stipend has been initiated or a PO issued before the date of the service.

In addition to the formal approvals required after the documentation has been prepared, the Dean's preapproval is required for any purchase greater than $500.

You can also complete the on-line requisition form, attach the selected quotation, and submit that to Faye for finalization. The requisition must come first, then the PO (which is the contract for payment in exchange for goods or services), and finally the invoice. There is never a case where any VIU employee is authorized to tell a vendor to go ahead with provision of goods and/or services. Please refer to the following VIU policy. The only option is to use your authorized VIU Purchasing Card.

Employees may make contacts with prospective vendors to secure technical information, but except with the approved use of an institutional purchasing card, shall not commit the University to an order, either directly or by inference. An employee who commits to a purchase outside University purchasing procedures may be held personally liable for the invoice, and the supplier will be advised the order was not official.

VIU Purchasing Department tips.

VIU Campus Store Purchases

You are on a list that we provide to the VIU Campus Store to enable you to make very modest purchases, on short notice, of texts or small-ticket items you need for teaching. Most often, this is to enable purchase of a textbook desk copy that is late arriving from the publisher. In this case, when (if) the desk copy does arrive from the publisher, you are expected to "return" the newer copy to the bookstore for a credit. Always give your receipt to your Department Chair for tracking in the cost centre files.

PD Funds

Collect your receipts. DO NOT write on the receipts or highlight anything on the receipts. Make photocopies for your records. Arrange original receipts in chronological order, oldest on top to newest on bottom. Bring them to Faye, who will complete a claim form for you. Feel free to ask if you have a question about the appropriateness of a claim; certain items may require the Dean's prior approval.

Track your balance remaining via Stargarden.

Unexpended contractual professional development funds for a fiscal year can be claimed without receipts. The payment will be processed through payroll and is considered taxable income. (Refer to the VIUFA Collective Agreement.)

Software and Furniture

Computer items are to be requested through IT; if a purchase is required, the IT rep will advise you to initiate a purchase (see "Purchasing" above). Ergonomic items are to be requested through Health and Safety. You should not purchase computer or furniture items yourself unless you are doing so by way of your PD allowance.


When you have problems with your office telephone, please call the IT Helpdesk at Local 6300 or email

To change any of your options; for example, your greeting, log in to your voicemailbox then press 8* to access the options menu.

Faculty Access

You will be provided with whatever keys are necessary for the performance of your job. You will not be advised when keys are ready. If you are expecting any keys, please call Local 6500 to see whether they are ready. You can then pick them up at Building 120. You will need to show photo ID before keys will be released to you. For electronic access, please give Faye the number on the back of your VIU identification card.


Anything that shows a student's name or number is confidential and must be shredded; for example, class lists, exam booklets, and student papers. See FIPPA for additional information. Shred only the page(s) with the student's name and/or number; recycle the rest.

Collective Agreements


Web Mail

To log in to your email, you will need your user name supplied when you were hired, your password, and the domain name (capitan). Here is the link for accessing your email at home or while travelling:


How to get your fund-raising project approved

Project Approval Application Form

Thrifty Foods' Double-up Program

VIU Foundation

Deposit Donations/Funds Raised Form

Business Cards

Your Faculty Assistant will provide the form and instructions.


CLOSE X Social Sciences